Saturday, March 13, 2010

Back in the old routine

On Saturday the Zambian Premier League season kicked off and I saw my first match watching Choma Green Eagles player the Power Dynamos. The season here runs from March until December with 16 teams. Choma are a military team, whilst Power are owned by one of the energy companies in the Copperbelt area. I was supporting Choma as over the last few days I have got to know the team whilst they were all staying at the same guest house as me in Mazabuka. They were friendly and an extremely polite bunch, who even gave me a lift to and from the stadium. Choma was the home team and only playing in Mazabuka because their home ground is currently flooded and a bridge on route to the stadium has also collapsed due to the recent deluge of wet weather in the Southern province.

The pitch was hard and bumpy on a hot hot afternoon. There was a small splattering of a crowd with the 'posh seats' consisting of concrete blocks for maybe around 50 fans. Both sets of fans sat together with plenty of good humour and banter during the game. The match ended 1-1 and was a typical game of two halves. Choma took the lead in the first minute through a corner and had the better of the first half. They tired after the break, Power started dominating and equalised sometime around the 70th minute. It was enjoyable but I am missing my Watford, especially as our form is so poor at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment