Monday, March 29, 2010

The Falls

The intention was to hit the road and escape Mazabuka but this proved more difficult than it should have been as I spent over four hours waiting for a bus to Livingstone and then four turned up all at once. Emily, the VSO volunteer who I was visiting in Livingstone, was kind enough to let me in when I eventually arrived in the early hours of Saturday morning. It was all worth it to catch my first glimpse of Victoria Falls and to get soaked by all the spray coming off the Falls.

The local name for the Falls is Mosi-oa-Tunya (The Smoke that Thunders) and it certainly does not disappoint. Depending on when you visit – either during the wet or dry seasons – your experience of the Falls will be very different, and also the views differ on the Zimbabwe and Zambian sides. Some quick stats on this stunning natural wonder – it is 1.7km wide, 108m high (Angel Falls in Venezuela is around 7 (!) times higher) and has an annual average flow of one million litres per second. During the rainy season (March to May) the flow can be ten times higher. I think that I will be back a few times to see how it changes and also to sample the numerous adrenaline filled activities – white water rafting to the flying fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment